We are the 302d Signal Battalion, "Gateway To Freedom." We hope you will find this website useful in obtaining information about us and our surrounding area. Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us.
Constituted on 29 July 1921 in the Organized Reserves, the 302d Signal Battalion was organized and outfitted in January 1922 at New York, New York. After the United States entered World War II, the battalion was redesignated the 302d Signal Operation Battalion on 8 December 1942, and ordered into active military service on 23 February 1943 at Camp Swift, Texas under Fifth Headquarters, Special Troops, Third Army. The battalion arrived at Avonmout, England on 9 March 1944, and was assigned to First United States Army Group (FUSAG), which was later renamed 12th Army Group under General Omar Bradley. Between D-Day and VE Day, the battalion supported the Third Army and General Patton’s dash across France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany through five campaigns, receiving battle streamer credit for the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe campaigns. The 302d was the first US Army signal battalion to occupy Heidelberg, Germany in support of 12th Army Group during the initial phase of occupation and was later deactivated on 1 June 1946. The battalion was redesignated the 302d Signal Heavy Construction Battalion on 8 January 1947, and activated in Louisville, Kentucky on 17 January 1947. The battalion later moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and remained there until 5 September 1950. The battalion was redesignated the 302d Signal Aviation Construction Battalion on 16 April 1951, and activated at Frederick, Maryland on 18 April 1951 and remained active there until 20 February 1963. The 302d Signal Battalion was reactivated on 14 July 1969 in Bangkok, Thailand and supported operations in Southeast Asia through 30 June 1971 as part of 29th Signal Group, US Army Strategic Communications Command. Following the fall of the Berlin Wall, the battalion was reactivated in Karlsruhe, Germany and assumed the missions of the 160th Signal Brigade. The battalion was awarded the national streamer for Cold War Engagement from the Federal Republic of Germany in 1994, and deactivated later that same year on 15 September 1994 in Stuttgart, Germany. The 302d Signal Battalion was reactivated on 16 October 2003 at Ft. Detrick, Maryland as part of the 21st Signal Brigade.